June 13, 2005

I've finally seen Fahrenheit 9/11

Of course, I already knew the facts about the Bush familys' relationship with the Saudi royal family and the bin Laden family because I have Mike's book, "Dude, Where's My Country". But in the film I got to see Michael and a Marine go around D.C. looking for congressman and asking them to enlist their child into the military, with brochures and a roster sheet in hand. In the movie you only see one congressman that will even bother to talk to Mike, and thats the point. There are 585 members of Congress and only one has a son elisted in the army. If you took 585 average Americans, I guarantee more than one has a child in the military.

There are also some interviews with soldiers in Iraq that weren't available when Mike wrote the book. I like the one that made the point that Halliburton workers make a good amount more money than the soldiers, "driving the same route" every day. F 9/11 also has the footage of those solders who harrassed that detainee who had an involuntary erection. Just before that it showed a soldier tickling one detainee's feet, then wiping his hand on another soldiers jacket, I'm sure just because he got sand on his hand.

There were also some quotes from Condoleeza Rice, Dick Cheney, and Colin Powell from early 2001 that addressed Saddam Hussein. I couldn't believe my ears. They were talking about how little of a threat Saddam Hussein posed to the U.S!
Go figure.

No comments: