February 14, 2007

White House opens doors to Iraq refugees

From the AP via Yahoo! News:

The Bush administration plans to allow about 7,000 Iraqi refugees to settle in the United States over the next year, a huge expansion at a time of mounting international pressure to help millions who have fled their homes in the nearly four-year-old war.

here's the whole thing

I thought this was very interesting. Back during Christmas break I recall thinking to myself, "What would all these right wingers [I was in Texas at the time] think if we let Iraqis take refuge in our country?". My immediate assumption was that most Bush fans would absolutely despise the idea of letting anyone from that region come here, regardless of their desperate situation. Of course, our government has no choice but to let at least some Iraqis take refuge in our country, since we started this goddamn war in the first place.


This article points out that 7,000 people is only 1% of the total Iraqis who've been displaced. Most go to Syria, but it's getting full. Some neighboring countries have already stopped letting new refugees into their countries, and the one's who are already there can't stay forever.

I read about this a few weeks ago, I can't remember where, but at the time I had no idea that the US was letting any Iraqis take refuge here. I guess all I have to say is that any pro-war asshole who objects to these refugees coming here is a complete hypocrite, and I'm sure most '04 Bush voters are scared shitless about them brown people comin' to our cuuuntry. To them, I say, "BAH!"

No comments: