April 4, 2006

Shoe's on the other foot ..... sort of

From the AP via Yahoo! News:

Homeland Security Official Arrested

The deputy press secretary for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security was arrested Tuesday for using the Internet to seduce what he thought was a teenage girl, authorities said.

Brian J. Doyle, 55, of Silver Spring, Md., was arrested on charges of use of a computer to seduce a child and transmission of harmful material to a minor.

Doyle had a sexually explicit conversation with what he believed was a 14-year-old girl whose profile he saw on the Internet on March 14, the Polk County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

[...]

On several occasions, Doyle instructed her to perform a sexual act while thinking of him and described explicit activities he wanted to have with her, investigators said.

clickhereforallofit

I was ready to pounce all over this when I first read it, but then I caught myself. Once again, the media is telling us about the dirty personal events of a political figure, only this time its actually illegal. If the allegations are true, then this guy is obviously a pervert, but being the tolerant kind of guy that I am, I can't help but wonder what this guy's fantsies and private actions have to do with his job. Does this guy's online chat with a 14 year old have any more to do with his job than adultery had to do with Clinton's job? Don't get me wrong, I know that what Doyle did is actually illegal, and he shouldn't be excused from whatever punishment he's got coming, but I for one am going to exclude myself from what I expect most Democrats and liberals are going to do and NOT use this as an example of another corrupt Bush Administrator. Pervert: yes; danger to democracy: no.

No comments: