July 1, 2007

Sicko

Last Friday morning I went and saw the first showing of Sicko's premiere at the one theater in Houston that is showing Michael Moore's new film.

I've written about his film's before and praised his work, but I'll admit I've become less of a fan as time has gone on. Sicko didn't turn me a born-again Michael Moore fanatic, but it's definately his best work to date. I think his film's have gotten progressively honest, each one looking more at all sides of the conflict in question and keeping everything relevant. I think this film could be his most influential one yet, if we just get the word out...and that's all I'm really trying to do with this entry.

For those who don't know (because this film has been waaaaay under promoted) Sicko is about health care, and it addresses the issue of whether universal health care could work in the United States. While he might paint a too rosey picture of France and Canada's (and others') health care systems, it's pretty obvious that the US's is much, much worse, not just by poor results but by its actual design (especially post-Nixon). Most people realize this, but the film does a pretty good job of debunking the myths about an evil, authoritarian result from adopting socialized health care. Fox pundits are already spouting the same old "we'd have to sacrifice everything" rhetoric that this film destroys!

The best line of the film:
"If we have the money to kill people [with war], we've got the money to help people."
-Tony Binn, former British MP

So go see Sicko, you won't regret it.

No comments: