July 12, 2007

While Europeans Vacation, Americans Toil

From Marie Cocco, Truthdig, via Alternet:

Stingy leave policies in the United States go hand and hand with weekly work hours that exceed those in many industrialized countries. And they parallel skimpy sick leave and family leave policies that give millions of Americans no effective safety net when illness or emergencies strike. Nearly half of private-sector workers--57 million people--have no paid sick days, according to Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., a chief sponsor of a measure to require at least some sick days for employees who work more than 30 hours per week. The problem is particularly acute for low-wage workers, more than three-fourths of whom get no paid leave when they are ill.

clickhereforallofit

Yeah, I'm at work right now, and I thought this was a good article to post. This topic is actually covered a little in Sicko, Michael Moore's new documentary. It's kinda early in the morning right now so I don't have much to say about this, other than it sucks but I'm not suprised in any way. I actually haven't read the whole thing yet, as I type this, perhaps I'll waste a little more time and do that. Hey, my boss straight up told me yesterday that he was running out of work for me to do this summer, might as well kick backk a little.

No comments: