April 9, 2007

Unseasonably cold weather does not debunk global warming

When I stepped outside and felt how cold it was the other day, I immediately expected to hear someone at some point in the day say, "So much for global warming, huh?" I didn't hear it until about 1am Sunday morning (my band played Saturday night and it was fucking awesome by the way) from a Denny's hostess.

I've noticed something that many oldish people do when they talk about things that they don't know anything about. They kind of trail off and use sentence fragments and buzzwords to kind of display their point (though it is scarcely a point at all) without taking any definate stance on the subject. The Denny's hostess said something like, "So much for all this global warming--supossedly affected so many people for the last 20 years or so." Granted I may have misquoted, what the hell kind of sentence is that in the first place? My shoulders drooped and I let out a long sigh after I heard this nice oldish ignorant lady try to make a clever comment in defiance to all the smart guy scientists out there who outa just shut up and get over it.

If she had been talking to me, here's what I might have said:

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE GLOBE IS ACTUALLY GETTING HOTTER!

POLUTION IS BAD!

PROPONENTS OF GLOBAL WARMING HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT SUGGEST THAT HUMANS STOP POLLUTING THE AIR SO MUCH!

IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?

We shouldn't have to argue about whether global warming is actually happening, we need to stop out wasteful and dangerous ways. Let's invest in alternative fuels for automobiles. Let's use environmentally safe prodcuts. Let's make electricity from the several other ways that we can make it that don't involve releasing bad shit. Let's stop farting or something, I don't know, why does this need to be a debate?

3 comments:

jaytn said...

I like reading your blog. I went back thru lots of entries back to when you were going to church every Sunday.

I'll be back.

Jodee said...

When you have a few years of maturity under your belt to rethink your comments, you will realize youth is by nature ignorance. But wisdom is not too far off. Pride is also a youthful issue. As far as global warming. Use your common sense and stop adopting values based on whats trendy. You can't buy then at the Gap or A&F. Be an individual, not a sheep.
Jodee

"GretnaBlast" said...

Yeah Jodee, never mind, lets just pollute the planet for the hell of it.

As for the Gap and A&F, I would never shop at those places, but you couldn't possibly know that because you don't know me, which is also why you should spare me the ignorance and wisdom lecture.

Why do you assume my views are some kind of fashion statement? You do not know me!